
Limiting gluten intake is proving to be difficult for me. My love of all baked goods makes it hard to stay away from this havoc-wreaking protein substance. Alas, my tummy protests against the delicious flour laden treats I try to sneak into it, so it has sent me on a quest to find equally delicious substitutes. Since I love all things citrus, I decided that my first attempt at gluten free baking would be a Flourless Orange Cake. I found a recipe online (I tried to find it again to give the author credit, but I couldn't. If it looks familiar to you, please drop me a line so I can make note of it.)
Anyway, the resulting cake was super moist, intensely orange flavored and really just simply divine. It took a long time to make due to the boiling of the oranges (I think next time I will boil more oranges and make extra puree to keep in the fridge for next time) but t was well worth the effort. Next on my list: Flourless Chocolate Cake. If it turns out even half as scrumptious as this one did I'll be thrilled.
Ingredients:
2 medium oranges, seedless if you can get them
6 eggs
1 C caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp (gluten-free) baking powder
1 1/2 C ground almonds / almond meal
(The oranges can be replaced by 4-5 clementines, 3 lemons or any other citrus fruit)
Method:
Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F and lightly grease a 23 to 25cm cake tin (9.5 to 10 inch tin). I like to line mine with parchment paper greased with a little butter or extra light tasting olive oil.
Wash and scrub the outside of the oranges and place them whole (skin and all) in a pot and fill with cold water to cover. Place over a medium high heat and bring to a boil.
Simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes, then drain the oranges, place back in the pot and refill with more cold water.
Repeat the process by bringing to the boil, simmer for 20 minutes then drain and refresh with more cold water.
Bring it a boil and simmer for about an hour then drain the oranges and set them aside to cool. All up the process should take about 2 hours and you're draining and refreshing the oranges three times.
When the oranges have cooled, roughly chop them to pieces and remove any seeds and white pith (these will make your cake bitter). Place in a blender or food processor (skin and all). Blend/process until it’s a fine puree.
The original recipe called for you to measure out 1 1/4 cups of the puree and then keep the rest in the fridge for next time. I got about 1 1/2 cups from my oranges and I used all of it.
Beat the eggs, sugar and baking powder with an electric mixer until thickened and pale in color.
Add in the ground almonds and mix in well.
On a low speed, add in the orange puree in two or three batches, beating for at least 20 seconds after each addition.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for about 50 minutes to an hour. Cake is ready when a toothpick or knife inserted in center comes out clean.
If it looks like it's browning too much after 30 minutes then you can place a sheet of aluminum foil over the cake tin.
When done, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin and cooling on a cake rack.
Serve with a dollop of cool whip, whipped cream, ice cream, fresh fruits, orange syrup or plain.
No comments:
Post a Comment