Monday, February 22, 2010

Egg Rolls



Hey guys,

Sorry, my good camera is acting funny so it's on a time-out until I can make it to the repair shop. Therefore, I'm reduced to either the camera on my iPhone, or my 6mp point and shoot. Anyway, I apologize if the photos aren't all that great in the meantime.

I made these egg rolls yesterday and they were great. They are even better than Chinese take out and best of all, you can modify the recipe to suit your tastes. Serve them with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!


1 lb Ground pork or chicken (or pork sirloin or chicken chopped into tiny pieces)
2 TBS Ah-So Sauce (get this in the Asian food aisle, it's the sticky red rib sauce)
1 tsp Minced ginger
3 cups Finely shredded cabbage
1 cup Bean sprouts (I always use soy bean sprouts)
1 cup Finely Shredded Carrots
4 Green Onions, finely chopped
3 TBS Oyster Sauce
2 TBS Soy Sauce
20 Egg Roll Wrappers

Stir fry pork with the 2 TBS of Ah-So sauce and ginger in a wide skillet over high heat until cooked through. Add cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots and green onions. Cook 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce and soy sauce. Remove from heat and let mixture cool. You will end up with some liquid at the bottom. It's up to you if you want to drain the mixture or not. I usually drain most of the liquid and just leave a few tablespoons of it in the mixture. Just remember, if your mixture is too wet, it can cause the wrappers to tear.


Use about 3 TBS of filling per egg roll fold in the follow manner:

1) Place filling diagonally on wrapper.

2) Fold corner over filling; roll snugly half-way to cover filling.

3) Fold up both sides snugly against filling; moisten edges of last flap.

4) Roll over flap to seal; lay flap-side down until ready to fry.


See the diagram I drew above.



Egg rolls freeze really well. You can freeze them before or after you deep fry them. I usually freeze them before they're fried. I wrap each one in saran wrap, put them on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer for about 2 hours (this way they don't get squished when you bag them all together), then I take them off the tray, put them all into a big ziploc freezer bag or two and stick it back in the freezer. When I want to cook them, I let them defrost in the refrigerator, then I deep fry them just like the fresh ones. You can also deep fry them first, let them cool completely, wrap them and freeze them the same way as above. Then, to reheat, let them come to room temperature, then put into an oven at 375 for about 10 minutes. Egg rolls will keep 4 - 6 months in your freezer.

Also, to cut prep time, you could get a few bags of coleslaw mix (which is just shredded cabbage and carrots) and adjust the recipe accordingly.

2 comments: